For 14 long years, students and educators have lived under the deeply flawed No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act. The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) returns decision making for our nation’s education back where it belongs - in the hands of local educators, parents and communities - while keeping the focus on students most in need.
Simply stated, the Every Student Succeeds Act will help ensure that all students, regardless of their ZIP code, will have the support, tools, and time to learn that they need to succeed and that educators’ voices are part of the decision making process at all levels.
Tennessee department of Education ESSA Town Hall meetings:
- Knoxville - Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 5:30p Eastern; West High School
- Jackson - Thursday, Dec. 8, at 5p Central; South Side High School
- Memphis - Wednesday, Dec. 14, at 5p Central; Douglas High School
- Nashville - Thursday, Dec. 15, at 5p Central; Pearl Cohn High School
- Chattanooga - January to be determined
- ESSA Fact Sheet
- ESSA Fact Sheet: State Accountability Systems
- ESSA Fact Sheet: Testing
- ESSA Fact Sheet: Teacher Empowerment
- TEA ESSA PowerPoint