NEA is providing members an opportunity to participate in a virtual Professional Learning Community (PLC) to support successful completion of a NEA Micro-credential. Educators who participate in a PLC to complete a micro-credential are more likely to earn their badge the first time.
A micro-credential is a short, competency-based recognition that allows an educator to demonstrate mastery in a area. Micro-credential PLCs are NOT a traditional course. Micro-credentials are self-directed project based professional development. During the micro-credential PLC, you will work to collect evidence of proficiency in specific area by working on a project that is designed to directly help you in your professional practice. Resources are provided to help you learn more about the topic. During this PLC, a facilitator will guide you and a group of fellow educators through the project and the process for submitting by providing multiple opportunities for peer feedback and discussion.
These virtual PLCs will be facilitated by a trained micro-credential facilitator and consist of weekly support meetings via zoom. PLCs will start during the week of September 7 and end by October 31. PLCs will meet on the day indicated below, during the evening for 30-60 mins. Facilitators will reach out to participants with exact dates and times. Members may register for more than 1 PLC.
Members may register for any of the following PLCs:
- Classroom Expectations and Routines:
- In this NEA Micro-credential PLC, an educator demonstrates an understanding of successful use of classroom expectations and routines to promote an environment that is conducive to learning.
- PLC will meet once a week on Monday evenings (from September 7-October 31).
- See micro-credential here: https://nea.certificationbank.com/images/NEAdocuments/CM/NEA_CM3.pdf
- Virtual Engagement Strategies for Asynchronous Learning:
- In this NEA Micro-credential PLC, an educator will use a variety of strategies and digital tools to engage learners in asynchronous learning.
- PLC will meet once a week on Tuesday evenings (from September 7-October 31).
- See micro-credential here: https://nea.certificationbank.com/images/NEAdocuments/TFC/Virtual%20Engagement%20Strategies%20for%20Asynchronous%20Learning.pdf
- Teaching Global Competence:
- In this NEA Micro-credential PLC, an educator facilitates learners' ability to develop diverse social and cultural perspectives that expand their understanding of local and global issues.
- PLC will meet once a week on Wednesday evenings (from September 7-October 31).
- See micro-credential here: https://nea.certificationbank.com/images/NEAdocuments/InTasc/Teaching%20Global%20Competence.pdf
- Fostering a Growth Mindset:
- In this NEA Micro-credential PLC, an educator explores growth mindset with students to support student understanding of various modes of learning to understand new concepts and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- PLC will meet once a week on Thursday evenings (from September 7-October 31).
- See micro-credential here: https://nea.certificationbank.com/images/neadocuments/InTasc/FosteringAGrowthMindset.pdf
Link to registration:
• Registration closes August 23
• Please note, this professional learning opportunity is open only to NEA members.
Resources on NEA Micro-credentials: